Monday 13 April 2015

A secret path & the day I cycled 30 miles on Kendal Mint Cake

Hi there,

Been a while since I have posted. I have been cycling a lot and travelling around a lot. Hence the lack of posts. 

The great news is that I have smashed my cycling targets already and have cycled just under 200 miles so far since 16th January which is a huge achievement. 

I mentioned a while ago that I went to a Cycle Maintenance class at Evans cycles at the Metro Centre. It was a great class, only one other student who was also a novice, and we were both interested in the same things - punctures, brakes, cleaning the chain etc. We were both given an Muc Off Rider Kit  which is a good set (especially when included in the cost of the class!). 

I like the muc-off standard bike wash well enough but the drivechain cleaner is really good. You do have to use quite a lot of it in one cleaning but it's very effective (especially on the cassette).  

So the best thing about this time of year is that I can finally go out on my bike after work - which makes a huge difference to the week. I think doing shorter rides more often will help me to maintain a good level of fitness and take the pressure off of the weekend rides.

I had the most beautiful ride up into Weardale on Easter Monday. It was a warm day (about 16-17c) and it was bright sunshine, I got up and out at 8am and had three wonderful hours on the bike. Loved it. I was given some Kendal Mint Cake and that works an absolute treat in combination with ice cold water. A great 30 mile ride was had. I had lost my gloves so that wasn't ideal but overall a great ride - the hills couldn't slow me and it was my fastest ride yet!

I met a fellow cyclist at work who told me about a secret path that runs parallel to the A689 and avoids some of the worst bends on that road. It's a one track lane right beside the river and its glorious. Made my rides even better. There are a few very steep but short hills on that section of path as well which is good to keep my hill game up.

Not much else to report other than that I still love my bike and it still loves me.

Kimberley 

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear you smashed your cycling targets riding to kendal mint cake. Will have to make sure I break my bikes targets as well, you might want to check out these guys for a faster bike?

    ReplyDelete