Monday 13 July 2015

Slow and steady wins the race?

I have cycled 29.9 miles in July. This month is a struggle - for the first time since I started in January I honestly don't want to go out. At present the thought of a 28 mile ride to S J Chapel and back seems like a nightmare.

I have been doing a lot of other exercise lately - pilates and zumba and a lot of gardening - so my body is tired all of the time - perhaps that explains my present attitude to the bike.

I have decided to push through this bump in the road (ha!) and keep on cycling. It doesn't have to be a 30 mile ride - any ride will do. I have given myself a 10 mile rule. Do 10 miles then go and rest. If I do plenty of shorter rides I can still manage 100 this month.

Perhaps later in the month I will feel energetic and will get out into the Dale - given that this is the perfect time of year with good weather (usually) and light nights.

For now I am taking min. 10 mile rides every other day (usually the same 11-12 mile route).

Tour De France has been great watching and has provided a lot of much need inspiration. IAM cycling team pushing through and getting 6th in the 9th stage really inspired me. The Guardian reports that the IAM team "surprised everyone" by finishing 6th. That might be the case but they delighted me - good on them. Love a dark horse. I too feel like a dark horse. Most of the cyclists I pass (90% or more) are men. They mostly ride in pairs or groups. They have better bikes than me (I see a lot of carbon frames flying by). They have better gear than me. They ALL take over me. I WILL KEEP GOING THOUGH. Just like IAM - I will push through and hope to surprise no one other than myself.

                               IAM cycling team surprised everyone finishing sixth.
                                                                  Look at them go!

I have decided it is high time I get myself into a nice looking jersey so this morning I bought this little beauty:



Men's jerseys are the only ones long enough for me (being 5"11). Also hoping that in buying a bigger size than I need that I will be able to fit my chest into the jersey. I have one women's jersey and it is too short and must be designed for women without breasts. I hope this one fits!

Ah the woes of a tall female cyclist.

Going out in the rain tonight for 12 miles.

Must. Keep. Going.

No comments:

Post a Comment