Tuesday 3 February 2015

A realisation.

It looks as though I may be closer to my goal than I realised.

My usual route took me from my house in Wolsingham to Frosterley (approx 7.5 miles return trip) and I have to admit that the first few rides were torture. I had sore legs, was getting blown all over the place, I was scared of the traffic flying by at 60mph, I was short of breath at certain parts of the route and the hills. Oh the hills. They're deadly because they're mostly not too steep (between Wolsingham and Frosterley) they just feel like they never end! They are much easier now that I've got more miles done though.

I did the Wolsingham-Frosterley route about 10-12 times, I always stopped at Frosterley since that's as far as I could make it on the old mountain bike before I'd give up the will to live and turn around.

My first few rides on the Specialized were just as difficult as I had not mastered the gears (at all) and I was a little bit worried about the new riding position. It took me one whole ride to discover the best place to rest your hands in order to easily reach the brakes! I have earned some impressive bruises so far..



Anyway so I pushed on through Frosterley last week and although I had driven through the village many times before I felt as if I had never been there in my life. It was entirely new to me and I couldn't help but feel a massive triumph over this new territory. I was so happy. I was a cycling deity. Queen of the road. I was Gino Bartali winning his third Giro D'Italia in 1946. I had made it further than I ever had before and I wanted more.

This was a major achievement for me. Distance wise it is no great shakes (at all) but something just clicked and I knew that I wanted to keep on doing this as often as possible. That was the moment that I fell in love with cycling.

Since that ride (which was only a week ago now) I have added on a little bit each time. On Saturday I went my usual route but pushed a little further into Frosterley.

On Sunday I woke up and although it was very cold and windy outside I decided I wanted to make use of the light so I went out again. This time I pushed straight through Frosterley and decided I wanted to try and get half way to Stanhope.

The half way point is beautiful, down to the left of this picture is the River Wear, to the right a field :)



I am still stunned but I actually made it all the way to Stanhope.



Since I made it to Stanhope without too much difficulty I'm thinking I'll probably get to St John's Chapel at some point and it may be sooner than later - if I do then I'll review the goal - but I don't want to jinx myself by getting too confident too soon!

It was a beautiful sunny day in Durham today - there is more snow expected overnight but I will get out on my bike this weekend - hopefully on both Saturday and Sunday - and hopefully to at least Stanhope again if not further.

Can I take a moment to appreciate cyclists the world over - it's harder than it looks!

Kimberley



No comments:

Post a Comment