Sunday 22 February 2015

Queen of the mountains & the infinite cold.

Yesterday I went out on the bike as soon as I woke up. It was cold and very windy but sunny.

                                 

It was a gruelling ride battling against the wind. I found myself in easy gears on flat parts of the road just to try and counteract the wind. I didn't need to use the brakes much on downhill as the elements acted as a natural braking system! 

I don't think I have ever felt so cold but my goodness it was beautiful out there. No matter how cold though or how my legs hurt I kept on going. 

                                

I stopped often and wanted to give up so many times - I even considered calling home for a lift back in the car. I couldn't do it though - something possesed my entire being and I managed to cycle all the way to St John's Chapel! It was a 27 mile / 44km return trip and it was bloody awful I must admit but it was the most amazing feeling of accomplishment at the same time. 

                                

I stopped at the side of an extremely busy bit of road and just as the last lorry had flown by I heard a noise behind me - turned around to find about 15 rabbits all sitting looking at me! One in particular stayed for a while and just looked on - probably thinking - what on earth is that girl doing cycling up the Dale in THIS weather. 

                               

I know that for so many people, most people probably, this will not sound like much of an achievement but for me this is huge. I hated PE in school and had no interest in taking part in any sport between the ages of about 14-22. It took absolutely everything that I had to get that far yesterday so let me just say WELL DONE to myself :) 

This has made me think two things: one I'm more capable than I thought I was. Two - now I have to think of somewhere farther to get to! I definitely need to do several more rides up to SJC as that was a struggle yesterday but since I've made it there (in such extreme weather as well) then I have to rethink the goal. 

I'm tempted to sign up for the 30 mile sportive that I had mentioned on here before - haven't committed to it yet as I'm still not convinced I'll be able to take on Crawleyside Bank. 

A few things I've learned:

1. wearing two pairs of cycling shorts on a long ride is essential 
2. wear proper padded cycling gloves at all times if you value your hands  
3. if the weather forecast is for wind then perhaps rethink cycling very far that day 
4. cycling is the best thing ever 

As soon as I got home yesterday I bought a pair of bib shorts since my back was frozen for hours after my ride - I'm thinking that they'll solve that problem? 

                                

This photograph in no way captures the length of this incline or the bitter cold wind but it does capture at least a bit of the stunning scenery. 

I'm lucky I live here. I'm very lucky to have such a great bike (thanks to you who recommended it to me) and I'm even more lucky to think that I have the spring and summer ahead of me to get in even more rides (and since I've made it to SJC - ever farther rides!). 

I look forward to sharing those stories on here and leave you with the post ride celebrations: 

                                
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment