Friday 20 February 2015

My week in cycling...

It's been a busy week.

At the weekend I got in 6.72 miles (to Frosterley and back from my house) on Saturday and then 15.31 miles on Sunday.

Sunday was my farthest, fastest, highest and longest ride to date. I made it to the other side of Stanhope and happily saw my first road sign for St John's Chapel! I had been approaching longer rides in the wrong way I think, I was only stopping once I had reached my destination and not giving my legs enough of a rest or drinking enough. It's amazing the difference it makes to have a little break on the odd hill and get some water down you and give your legs a moment. Makes the hill significantly easier I think.

On Sunday morning I attended the Fixit! class at Evans but I'm going to do a separate post about that.

It occurred to me, half way up a hill somewhere outside of Stanhope, that I actually haven't been as far up the Dale as I was in at that point, in over ten years. I think the last time I was there was when I was at sixth form!

Last night I decided to go on an reconnaissance mission into the wilds (mainly to find out how many hills I have to face between Stanhope and St John's Chapel). The answer is that there are a fair few hills! It's easy to forget how tough they will be on the bike when you're in your nice warm car. The road to St John's Chapel actually didn't scare me too much and there is a nice little cafe on the corner in the market place that I will definitely call in to for a victory hot chocolate (if I ever make it up there that is!).

The real shocker was definitely the road between St John's Chapel and Killhope. Ouch. I can't believe people cycle up there and that I might even be able to do it by the end of this summer.

I have had quite a few aches and pains this week (getting old) due to my epic cycle (epic by my standards) this weekend.

Tomorrow the forecast is 7-8c and sunny for Saturday with snow and gales on Sunday.

With that in mind I have my RunKeeper and Strava apps set to automatic pause, I have my water chilling in the fridge, I have cereal bars on hand and I'm going to go as far as I possibly can tomorrow. Been stuck in the office all week and I can't wait to feel the breeze around my hair and that familiar ache in my legs! Bring it on.

Kimberley


No comments:

Post a Comment